Selected Consultancy and Specialist Research
- London Enterprise Panel, Greater London Authority and the London Councils (2014 – present) Design and development of a ‘London Careers Offer’ (September 2014 – present)
- CfE, Leicester (2014 – present) Research into the Impact of the Mayor of London’s ‘Championing Careers Guidance in Four London Academies’.
- National Careers Service Prime Contractors: London, West Midlands and Thames Valley (2014 – present) Informing and supporting the Inspiration Agenda.
- Cedefop, Thessaloniki with Q-PLAN International Ltd, Greece (Management Consulting Specialist), APS in The Netherlands (Schools Management and Leadership Specialist), Warwick University’s Institute for Employment Research (IER) (Employment Research) and Michelle Turcotte, Doctorant en sciences de l’orientation, PhD student, Université Laval, Quebec, Canada. Research into Labour Market Information (LMI) and intelligence in successful guidance and careers education (2014 – present)
- European Lifelong Guidance Policy Network (2012 – present) Quality assurance and evidence-based policy systems development. Visit: http://www.elgpn.eu/
- University College Dublin (2013 – present) Careers Advisory Service consultancy activities with staff. Visit: http://www.ucd.ie/
- Welsh Assembly Government (2013 – present) Appointment Panel: CCDG (Careers Wales) Chair and Board of Directors http://wales.gov.uk/about/cabinet/cabinetstatements/2012/careersservices/?lang=en
- EMFEC, Nottingham (February 2014) Visit: http://www.emfec.co.uk/annual-conference
- The Voice for Apprenticeships Annual Conference (February 2014) Visit: http://www.apprenticeships4england.info
- Warwick University Institute for Employment Research (2014) Understanding Business and Education Links with the National Careers Service. Visit: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ier/
- Warwick University Institute for Employment Research (2013) Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 Exercise: Building the evidence-base on impact of careers policy, research & practice. Visit: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ier/
- Inside Government, London (January 2014) Visit: http://www.insidegovernment.co.uk/
- D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Growth and Skills Strategy and Action Plan (2013) and D2N2 Apprenticeship Growth Strategy (2013). Visit: http://www.d2n2lep.org/Growth
- Prospects Ltd. (2013) Leadership and management training. Visit: http://www.prospects.co.uk/
- Euroguidance Austria (2013) Evidence and Impact Measures. Visit: http://www.lebenslanges-lernen.at/home/national_agency_for_lifelong_learning/euroguidance_career_guidance/EN/
- The Open University in association with IER (2013) LMI in practice. Visit: http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/careers/
- Multiple private sector & charitable organisations across England (2011-2013) Keynote presentations and staff training.
New academic publication (2014 ) Testing Times: careers market policies and practices in England and The Netherlands. Hughes in association with Professor Frans Meijers and Marinka Kuijpers, Hague University, The Netherlands. Visit: http://sites.thehagueuniversity.com/dialogical-self/program
Some selected examples of earlier work include: –
- Adviza, Thames Valley (2012 -2013) Design and implementation of customised training modules to support practitioners and managers in the delivery of effective careers work. Visit: http://www.adviza.org.uk/
- Babcock International group PLC (2013) Building effective careers policies and practices. Visit: http://www.babcockinternational.com/markets/training/careers-guidance/our-services/national-careers-service/
- KPMG, Belfast (2011) Review of educational guidance services across Northern Ireland, on behalf of the Department for Employment & Learning. Visit: http://www.kpmg.com/uk/en/pages/default.aspx
- Warwick University, Institute for Employment Research (2011) Career Adaptability & The Role of Skills Supply – research study into the way individuals interact with and move through the labour market comparing the experiences of adults in England and Norway. Visit:http://www.ukces.org.uk/assets/bispartners/ukces/docs/publications/evidence-report-35-role-of-career-adaptability.pdf
- Warwick University, Institute for Employment Research (2011) Integrating ICT into careers practice: extending the knowledge-base. Visit: http://www.ukces.org.uk/assets/ukces/docs/publications/integrating-new-technololgies-into-careers-practice.pdf
- Careers England (2010) Social mobility of young people and adults in England: the contribution and impact of high quality careers services. Visit: http://www.careersengland.org.uk/documents/public/research%20paper%20SOCIAL%20MOBILITY%20AND%20CG%20final%202.9.10.pdf
- Youth & Careers Services, East Midlands region (2010) Strategic review of business plan and service delivery arrangements.